As soon as Jordyn and I found out that Clara was coming out to visit, we knew that we just
to make ice cream with her! We had been teasing her week after week with our
flavors, so we promised her that we would conjure up a magnificent flavor while she was here!
So we'd like to present you with....blueberry vanilla bean ice cream!
Gosh this ice cream just tastes like a dream. The smooth deliciousness of the vanilla bean complements the taste of blueberry perfectly, and little chunks of blueberry throughout add a wonderful burst of flavor!
Blueberry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
2 cups sugar
4 cups milk (we used 2% you could use 1% or skim, but it won't be as creamy)
5 cups whipping cream
4 vanilla beans (or 2 tsp of vanilla will work...but won't be quite as good!)
2 cups blueberries (approximately 1 cup of blueberries cooked down)
1/2 tsp salt
*Ice and coarse salt - this will be needed for the ice cream maker
In a medium saucepan cook blueberries on medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. Stir and mash with a fork as it's cooking. Let this mixture cool before adding to
*Feel free to puree and strain if you're looking for a chunk free ice cream!
1. Beat eggs in a large bowl.
2. Gradually incorporate sugar.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients (including cooked blueberries, but NOT ice or coarse salt) and mix well.
4. Place mixture in the barrel of your ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer's instructions. This will include layering ice and salt around the edges of the ice cream maker.
5. Now enjoy your delicious ice cream!
Bonus: Buy (or make) waffle cones. Dip them in chocolate. Fill them with ice cream!
kelsey (+ clara + jordyn)