You had to know something like this was coming. Pumpkin Spice seems to be taking over the world as it tends to every Fall, and I jumped on the bandwagon.
But let's be clear. I am a fan of pumpkins and spices....and not such a fan of lattes. Sorry Starbucks, you can keep your coffee.....I'd rather eat this ice cream instead!
Since Jordyn and I are still (and will forever be) obsessed with creating new ice cream flavours, we knew that pumpkin spice would make the perfect Fall ice cream!
We love how well the pureed pumpkin worked in this ice cream, and were very pleased with how creamy and delicious it was! It really tastes like Fall, and has has been the perfect dessert for the exceptionally warm Fall evenings we've been experiencing lately.
Living on a pumpkin farm in October means long work days, endless to-do lists, never enough sleep, sore muscles, and your weekends suddenly become the most insane part of your week. It's crazy hectic, but it's also a time where my family pulls together in such a unique way to help each other out and keep everything afloat, and that makes it my favorite.
(oh ya....and it's my birthday month!)
p u m p k i n " s p i c e c r e a m "
[by: kelsey & jordyn]
3 egg yolks
2 cups whole milk (can substitute with lower fat milk)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp all spice
dash of ginger and cloves
1) In a medium saucepan, combine milk and cream and bring to gentle simmer over medium-high heat, and then remove from heat.
2) In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together. Very gradually, whisk in the warm milk mixture.
3) Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixtre thickens.
4) Allow the mixture to cool before adding pumpkin puree and spices.
5) Mix well, and then pour into your ice cream machine and follow your machine's directions.
6) Once it's done, place your ice cream in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving!
p.s. it was my birthday yesterday! so keep your eyes peeled for my birthday cake which will be showing up in the next few days!