turkey burgers with yam fries
Surprise! I'm sharing an actual meal with you today! (Although it could be argued that doughnuts are a breakfast food.....right? Right!).
These turkey burgers are definitely a favorite of mine, and good news, they're healthy for you! Made with lean turkey, carrots, and zucchini, these are guilt-free.
Now, I was trying to decide if these are still technically burgers if they weren't served in a bun? Does a bun make it a burger, or is it just the patty? You can definitely serve these in a bun, but we usually opt for a pita! Add some fresh spinach, feta and tzatziki, and you're good to go!
Yam fries are such a perfect side dish for these turkey burgers, and we often will serve a greek salad with them as well to make sure we get even more veggies in our meal!
t u r k e y b u r g e r s
recipe by: the Siemens family
yields: 8-10 patties
1) In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients and form into patties.
2) Heat up oil in a frying pan, and cook patties on medium heat. Cook the first side for 5-10 minutes, flip, and cook the other side for 5 minutes.
Serve in a pita with fresh spinach, feta, and tzatziki (or whatever your heart desires!).
1 pound of ground turkey
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of thyme
1 tsp of oregano
3/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of ground pepper
1 large egg
3 tbsp of olive oil (for frying)
y a m f r i e s
1) Wash yams (we leave the peel on, but you can peel yours if you like, of if it looks super thick and tough).
2) Slice yams, and try and keep the sizes/thicknesses as even as possible.
3) Toss yams in oil and spices, and spread out on a tinfoil lined pan. (Alternatively, we often spray the tinfoil as well as the yams with a cooking spray instead of using oil because we're lazy and it works well!)
4) Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then flip the yam slices and cook for another 10 minutes, or until done.
2 large yams
2-4 tbsp oil
seasoning salt (we season ours in Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning - or sprinkle with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder)