green tea ice cream
Green tea ice cream! If you know me at all...you'll know that I'm not a huge tea fan. Although I AM starting to like iced teas, and that's the first step, right?! (I know some of you might be horrified by the previous statements...please don't judge me too harshly. Ha!)
Needless to say, this is my sister Jordyn's brainchild all the way. Thanks to her, our tea cupboard is incredibly well-stocked, and ever-expanding. She's been experimenting with making drinks into ice cream, and was so pleased with how creamy and fresh this one turned out!
(Let's just say that I'm pretty stoked about the mojito ice cream that she started working on last week!)
However, even I have to admit that this ice cream was smooth, light, and refreshing. Basically the perfect dessert! (Except for the fact that it doesn't contain chocolate....amirite?)
g r e e n t e a i c e c r e a m
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups light cream
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vanilla matcha powder
1) In a medium saucepan, combine the creams together, and bring to gentle simmer over medium-high heat, and then remove from heat.
2) In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, matcha powder, and sugar together. Very gradually, whisk in the warm cream mixture (not too fast, or you'll cook your eggs).
3) Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
4) Remove from heat, and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
5) Pour into your ice cream machine and follow your machine's directions.
6) Once it's done, place your ice cream in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving!
This is hopefully the start of a drink-inspired ice cream series! If you have any suggestions, please let me know in the comments below.
It's almost summer, right?