Oh hey friends, I am so excited to bring you something a little different today! I'm talking about these gorgeous vegan matcha tarts! They are dairy free, gluten free, packed with antioxidants, and just plain delicious. I know so many people with dietary restrictions, and I love that this dessert is inclusive.
When the lovely people from Encha Organic Matcha contacted me about a collab, I was so pumped. It was instantly clear that they are incredibly passionate about their product, and ensure that it's of the highest quality. Now, I'm not the biggest matcha drinker since I've always found it a bit bitter. When I first tried a sip of the Encha Organic Matcha sample they sent over, I was pleasantly surprised! SO SMOOTH you guys. I knew that it would make such an incredible addition to a no-bake tart, and they turned out so wonderfully. I also love that there is 3 grades of Encha Organic Matcha: ceremonial, latte, and culinary grade, so that you can choose the grade that's right for what you'd like to use it for. Encha’s mission is to bring the best organic matcha directly from their farms in Japan. Obviously the farmer in me loved hearing about their farm in the Uji mountains of Kyoto, Japan, and their "farm-to-cup" motto.
So, let's talk about these tarts! This was my first time trying out a nut and date crust, and I was so impressed. Once you have your tart shells ready, it's on to the filling. I soaked some raw cashews, blended them until they were smooth, and then stirred in dairy-free coconut yogurt (amazing if you haven't tried it!), maple syrup, vanilla, and of course... matcha powder! Top with coconut whipped cream and garnish with nuts or fruit. Heck yeah!
vegan matcha tarts
recipe by: Kelsey Siemens
yields: 4 four-inch tarts (can also make into one larger tart)
1 cup (275g) soft, dried dates
1 3/4 (220g) cup raw walnuts
pinch of sea salt
1) Place dates and walnuts into a food processor and blend until fairly smooth. This is best done in two batches.
Press mixture into mini tart pans (alternatively, you could use one large tart pan). Be sure to press mixture down well,
and make sure some goes up the sides of the tart pans.
2) Chill in the fridge to help crust firm up while you prepare the filling.
1 cup (125g) raw cashews (soaked overnight, or in very hot water for at least 1 hr)
1 1/4 cup (185g) dairy-free coconut yogurt
3 teaspoon (20g) maple syrup
1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
1.5 tablespoon (10g) latte grade Encha Organic Matcha powder
pinch of salt
1) In a food processor, blend soaked (and drained) cashews with yogurt until completely smooth.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together cashew and yogurt mixture with maple syrup, vanilla extract, and Encha Organic Matcha powder.
3) Pour mixture into chilled crusts, and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
1 can chilled coconut milk (must be chilled in the fridge
1-2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Open chilled coconut milk upside down so that the coconut water is at the top. Pour off coconut water and save for later (this is great in a smoothie). Scoop out white solids into a medium mixing bowl, and use a handmixer to beat until fluffy. Add in maple syrup and vanilla extract (adjust to taste).
2) Chill in fridge if mixture is quite soft, or until ready to use.
Top matcha tarts with a scoop of coconut whipped cream, and your choice of nuts or berries.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and please let me know if you make these tarts!
This post was created in partnership with Encha Organic Matcha! All opinions are my own, as always. Thanks so much for supporting brands that help keep me cooking <3