So apparently the Fraser Valley forgot that it usually rains nonstop until mid-June.....and we've basically had Summer since April. It's been nuts. So so hot! From a farmer's perspective, it's been both good and bad. Everything's been growing like crazy, but it's meant a lot of crops have been ready several weeks early.....and of course we've had to water everything like mad to try and keep up with the heat!
In summary.....strawberry season has already come and gone. It's kind of the worst. Especially if you're a weirdo like me, and the only berries that you actually enjoy eating fresh are strawberries. Wahh....poor me.
Now, this might be my favorite meal of all time. Ha! Strawberries and crepes, and maybe whipped cream. I could eat it all day, everyday. And I'm usually tempted to during Strawberry season. Crepes are so quick and easy to make, and I love how versatile they are!
I first discovered crepes in a middle school cooking class....and labelled them "Kelsey's Krapes" in my notebook. Classic.
C r e p e s
1) In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
2) Add in flour and salt, and whisk until mixed completely (if you're super dedicated...you can even sift your flour to avoid lumps).
3) Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat.
4) Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the center of your frying pan, and quickly tilt the pan in a circle so that the batter coats the pan evenly. *If your batter is too hard to spread easily by tilting, you may want to turn your heat down just a bit, or add a small amount of milk to it.
5) Cook the crepe just until the batter is no longer gooey, and then flip. These cook extremely quickly! The perfect crepe should be a nice golden brown on the first side.
6) Serve with fresh strawberries (although frozen ones work great too...and are a bit more saucy), or whatever filling your heart desires. Top with a bit of sugar, whipping cream....or maybe nutella (if you're into that sort of thing!)
1 3/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
Now hurry up and go find some strawberries and eat some for me!